Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Early days as a Milkman

What an eye opener it was. You are up very early in the morning and on your deliveries up and down peoples garden paths you would see some strange and some wonderful sights. It was nice if you saw some nubile young woman with just a see through short nighty on but a fifty year old was not quite so good ( I would not object these days), many seemed intent on embarrassing their young milkman. I once saw a naked old man collecting newspapers from his porch, it was enough to give me nightmares for a couple of months and the Unigate psychiatrist refused to give me counseling
Sunday mornings would bring some ecstatic noises from the bedrooms and I remember well hearing one of my favourite customers yelling in her bedroom at her husband to get his hands off her t*ts, of course I had great delight in informing her about this the next time I saw her. As I said before I had a good trainer in my old dad and it did not take long to build up a repertoire with my customers. I had some well to do customers and a lot of working class people who lived in terraced house, no walking up and down long garden paths for them, once you remembered what your customers had delivered it was just a matter of walking along with a crateful of milk and plonking the milk bottles on each doorstep as you passed by.
Mental mathematics improved greatly and in time the bookkeeping became easy. These days you see milkman with baby computers for book keeping but in my days you had a book with a page for each customer and you had write out a new one every couple of months. At the end of the week you would spend one evening at home adding up what each customer had had for that particular week and many had extras like butter, milk, cream or even potatoes, calculators were not readily available then.

6 comments:

  1. Unigate had a psychiatrist ?
    Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they needed one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mental stress milkmen went through was unbelievable. We often worked a seven day week and on one occasion when a milkman thought he had a day off and the supervisor knocked on his door early in the morning to ask if he could work the wife emptied the contents of the kiddies piss pot over his head from the bedroom window. No we did not have a psychiatrist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post. I like your blog, it made me smile. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Acorn. Today I came back to try again to follow you. This time it worked. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just stumbled across your blog and am enjoying reading thus far. My Grandfather worked for Unigate at Guildford from before the Second World War until he retired in the early 1970s. I have the gift he received from working for them for 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He would have known the horse and cart days as my father did.
    I must admit that this blog has not been updated in a while.
    Very nice to hear from you Anglers Rest

    ReplyDelete